What is TOLES?
The Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) assess the English language skills required by the legal profession and sectors related to law. You can take a TOLES exam with the British Council, please read the details below.
TOLES tests the following skills:
- knowledge and use of vocabulary relevant in the global commercial market
- writing formal letters and communicating by email
- the ability to follow a course of legal study where the instruction is in English
- reading and writing complex law documentation
- the language of negotiating
- grammatical accuracy.
TOLES is offered at three different levels:
- TOLES Foundation: general English level: Elementary–Advanced
- TOLES Higher: general English level: Intermediate–Advanced
- TOLES Advanced: general English level: Upper-Intermediate–Advanced