For all teachers who are looking for a formal confirmation of their English skills to be able to conduct English classes.
From 24 August 2017, Aptis has been an officially recognised and acknowledged by the Ministry of Education in Poland test of English skills that is a proof of teachers' ability to teach English in kindergartens, primary and secondary schools. See the current version of the regulation (in Polish).
In order to receive the qualification, candidates must take one of the following versions of Aptis: Aptis General, Aptis Advanced or Aptis for Teachers, full five-module versions (modules are: grammar and vocabulary, speaking, writing, reading, listening comprehension), which are computer-based and certified by the British Council.
TYPES OF THE APTIS TEST
According to the ministerial regulation, teachers can take one of the following versions of the Aptis test:
- at primary level (B2) - Aptis General, or Aptis Advanced or Aptis for Teachers passed at B2
- at advanced level (C1) - Aptis General and Aptis for Teachers passed at C; or Aptis Advanced passed at C1 level
- at expert level (C2) – Aptis Advanced passed at C2 level.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIFFERENT APTIS TEST VERSIONS?
- Aptis General - examines the candidate's level of English according to the Council of Europe scale, from A1 to C (without distinguishing between C1 and C2). Attached is a sample Aptis General results report.
- Aptis Advanced - examines the candidate's level of English, according to the Council of Europe scale. From A1 to C2 (with a distinction between C1 and C2). Attached is a sample Aptis Advanced results report.
- Aptis for Teachers - This test is similar to Aptis General, showing the candidate’s level of English on the Council of Europe’s scale from A1 to C (without distinguishing between C1 and C2). The structure and duration of the Aptis for Teachers test is the same as the Aptis General. The only difference is that the content of some tasks and exercises includes phrases and expressions used in the education sector in the teachers’ environment. Find out more.
DURATION OF THE APTIS TEST SESSION:
- Grammar and Vocabulary - 25 minutes
- Speaking - 12 minutes
- Writing - 50 minutes
- Listening - 50 minutes
- Reading - 30 minutes
PRICE OF THE APTIS TEST
Aptis General - 490 PLN
Aptis for Teachers - 490 PLN
Aptis Advanced - 510 PLN
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE TEST?
Complete information and preparation materials can be found here.
You can register for the Aptis test in an open session, organised by the British Council in Warsaw.
Group registration is also possible.
The Aptis test score is presented in a report that shows the number of points earned for each part in the range 0-50 with graphical representation of the level of each skill on the CEFR scale. In the case of full Aptis (all five skills), an additional measurement is shown on the report showing the averaged CEFR score from all parts. Sample results report can be found here.
For an Aptis score to be recognised by the Ministry of Education in Poland, additional certification is required from the British Council. Along with a results report, each candidate receives a personal certificate with a hologram. Examples of certificates can be found below.
Aptis results are available on the 13th day after the test date and they are collected by test-takers either from the British Council Warsaw office or sent to them by post (candidates decide on the option during the registration process). In the case of group registration, schools representatives can collect their members’ certificates from our office.